Friday, May 26, 2017

BBQ Pork Sandwich with Chipotle Slaw

Hello my Hy-Vee friends and Happy Memorial Day!

Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer and boy am I ready it for it. To me summer means long walks with my puppy, Clementine, lazy days at the pool and BBQ! And please, when I say BBQ I mean BBQ. Grilling on charcoal is wonderful, don’t get me wrong, but that is not BBQ.

Barbecuing, remember, is done slowly, over low and indirect heat. IF you are lucky enough to have a smoker one of easiest and tastiest things to make is pulled pork. Simply rub a pork butt (which actually comes from the shoulder of the pig) with a good BBQ seasoning such as JB’s Fat Boy. Place pork in a smoker at 225 degrees, add some hickory wood and cook for 8 to 10 hours or until the pork literally falls apart. Pull it apart, add a tasty BBQ sauce and you are set. Don’t have a smoker? Lucky for you, your West Lakes Hy-Vee always has BBQ pork available in our hot case!

Sure, pulled pork is delicious on its own but I like to make a fun sandwich out of it. I stuff some French bread with the pork, top it with some pepper jack cheese, thick cut bacon, a fist full of fries and topped with an easy chipotle slaw (see recipe below).


Chipotle Slaw

All you need:
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayo
1 to 2 teaspoons chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce), chopped finely
Juice of 1/2 a lime
1 teaspoon sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bag coleslaw mix
Salt and pepper to taste

All you do:
1. Mix all together to combine.
2. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper.
3. Place on top of sandwich and enjoy!

Stay safe, have a wonderful holiday, eat some que and as always, Praise the Lard!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment