Thursday, February 2, 2017

Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip

Hello my Hy-Vee friends!

Oh the memories of the big game growing up...can I remember any of the stats? Of course not. But I can remember the first dip I made. I was about 8 years old and it was French Onion Dip. I opened a pack of that French onion dip powder, poured it into a bowl and mixed in sour cream. Voila, it was done! It was cool, creamy and delicious. I still love that dip but a little over 35 years later, my taste buds are craving something a little more sophisticated.

I now caramelize the onions, mix in bacon and add asiago cheese. I am no longer that nervous 8 year old boy but tasting this new improved version of the dip still brings me back to that that small kitchen in Chicago helping my mom make food for the big game.



Caramelized Onion Bacon Dip

All you need:
1 tablespoon oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon brown sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, softened 
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 

All you do:
1. In a medium sized skillet add oil, brown sugar and onions. Cook over low heat until onions are brown and caramelized.
2. Combine onions, cream cheese, mayonnaise, 1/2 cup grated asiago and bacon.
3. Spread into a baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
4. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes of until top is nicely golden brown.
5. Enjoy!

We also sell this dip on the shelf across from our Produce department!


Enjoy the big game and as always, Praise the Lard!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment