Thursday, October 20, 2016

Bacon, Beer, Brisket and Black Bean Chili

Hello my Hy-Vee Friends!

I know it's been a while but I am back and I am here to talk about one of my favorite things to make...CHILI! I love all types of chili, as I am sure you do too. White chicken chili from California, New Mexican green pork chili and Cincinnati 5 way chili are all fantastic in my book. Perhaps ironically the only chili I am not crazy about is the “traditional” one with ground beef, tomato sauce and canned chili beans. To me it is an uninspired mess. I want a chili to taste rich, beefy and have a nice smoky, spicy finish. I start with small diced brisket, add some bacon for some richness, black beans for earthiness, a bottle of beer which lends some complexity to the dish, a chipotle pepper and fire roasted tomatoes which bring smokiness and heat to the party. Try this recipe and I guarantee you will never look at chili the same way again.


Bacon, Beer, Brisket and Black Bean Chili:
Serves 6-8.

10 slices thick cut bacon, thinly sliced
3 pounds brisket, small dice
2 large onions, small dice
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped (not one can, just one pepper)
1 bottle Mexican amber beer, like Dos Equis Amber
2 cans fire roasted diced tomatoes with peppers, onions and garlic with their juices
1 can beef stock
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

All you do: 
1. In a skillet cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve the fat.
2. In a large pot add three tablespoons of the bacon fat over high heat. Season the meat and add in batches until brown on all sides. Remove meat and set aside.
3. Add onions and cook 6 minutes. Add garlic and reduce heat to medium. Cook one minute. Add the chili powder, oregano and coriander to the onion mixture and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. 
4. Add the browned meat, drained bacon, the chipotle pepper, beer, tomatoes, beef stock and brown sugar.
5. Turn down heat to medium low, cover the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Stir in the black beans and add water if mixture is too thick. Simmer an additional 20 minutes.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning.
7. Serve chili with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.

As always, Praise the Lard and the Chili!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment