Friday, April 20, 2018

Avocado and Crab Toast


Hello my Hy-Vee friends!

So, I am not a trendsetter. If it’s hot, it’s probably not on my radar. I am the guy that still enjoys Spam, fast food and Velveeta cheese. That probably explains why I had never tried avocado toast until a few days ago. It was at one of my favorite hang outs and it was listed on the menu as blue crab and avocado toast. Since crab and avocado is always an amazing combination, I decided to go for it and what a revelation it was! The crunchy bread was a perfect foil to the creamy avocado and the sweet crab.

That night I realized that avocado toast is truly a perfect blank canvas open to infinite possibilities. Roasted corn, ancho chili powder and lime would make a delicious Mexican style avocado toast. Lemon, Kalamata and feta will bring you to the Greek isles. Feel like breakfast? Top it with bacon and a fried egg.

For me, I craved to recreate the toast I enjoyed the other night. I simply took ripe avocados, smashed it with a splash of soy sauce and a squeeze of lime. I smeared that on toasted thick whole wheat bread and topped it with crab. “Fake” crab works okay here, but if you want to go all out that use Alaskan king crab legs. Finally, I drizzled on some eel sauce, sriracha mayo, a few thinly sliced radishes and sprinkle of sesame seeds. And voila! Delicious.


Enjoy this millennial favorite and as always, Praise the Lard!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment