Thursday, July 6, 2017

Kimchi Noodles

Hello my Hy-Vee friends!

Full disclosureI love pasta salads. I never had them when I was kid (it was something simply not served by my French mother) but when I did have my first one, I still remember it. I was about 8 years old and it was served to me at my friend’s house. It was cool, creamy and studded with bacondelicious. When I inquired about it, my mom’s friend smiled and pulled out a box. It was Betty Crocker’s Suddenly Pasta Salad Ranch and Bacon.

Okay, so maybe my 8 year old palate wasn’t as refined as it is today. I still crave pasta salads but now my minds wanders to Asia. Korea specifically. On a blistering hot day, there is nothing better than a bowl of cold and spicy kimchi noodles. It is a little sweet, a little salty, a little sour, a lot spicythe perfect balance. While I still smile when I think about that boxed pasta salad I had many, many years ago, it's these kimchi noodles that truly make me content.


Kimchi Noodles

All you need:
1 cup finely chopped kimchi
1 medium garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons grated ginger
2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
1 tablespoon chili garlic paste
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
8 ounces soba noodles
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved and sliced into half-moons
3 or 4 large red radishes, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 cup scallions, slivered
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Cilantro sprigs or chopped cilantro, for garnish

All you do:
1. Put the kimchi, garlic, ginger, gochujang, chili garlic paste, sesame oil and rice vinegar in a mixing bowl. Stir well to combine.
2. Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add noodles and cook for about 7 minutes, or until cooked through but still firm. Drain in a colander, run under cold water until cool and drain well.
3. Just before serving, put noodles in a large mixing bowl. Add the sauce, along with cucumber, radishes, scallions and toss gently to coat. Divide among individual serving bowls.
4. Top each bowl with sesame seeds and cilantro.
5. Enjoy!

Slurp some cold noodles and as always, Praise the Lard!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment