Friday, June 9, 2017

Bahn Mi Sandwich

Hello my Hy-Vee friends!

It was a steamy summer night in Hanoi circa 1998. I was hungry and I knew that in a few hours I would be boarding an overnight train for a long, uncomfortable ride through the Vietnamese countryside. I was also aware that this would be my only opportunity to try a delicacy that had been on my radar for quite awhile.

With some in trepidation, I arrived at the restaurant and took a seat packed with Chinese businessmen. Within minutes, three bowls were placed in front of me. The dog had been prepared grilled, roasted and stewed. I tried them all and it was not a pleasant experience. Whether it was the taste or idea of eating a dog that upset me, I am no longer sure. I pushed the food aside, paid and quickly left.

Walking to the train station, I was hungrier than ever. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a little bakery and decided to pop in. A woman behind the counter smiled and handed me a sandwich. I dug in and it was love at first bite. It was my first of many, many bahn mi sandwiches.


Bahn Mi Sandwich

All you need:
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup shredded daikon radish
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
1 pound roast pork, turkey or ham, thinly sliced
8 tablespoons liverwurst (delicious and authentic but optional)
4 six inch baguette split in half or 4 hoagie rolls
1 fresh jalapeno, thinly sliced
Cilantro leaves

All you do:
1. In a bowl, toss together the carrots, daikon, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and salt and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
2. Whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha.
3. Divide the liverwurst and spread on the bottom of the sandwich (optional).
4. Divide the pork, turkey or ham between the four sandwiches.
5. Top with the pickled vegetables.
6. Add a few slices of jalapenos and a few sprigs of cilantro.
7. Spread the top slice of the sandwich with the mayo and place on the sandwich.
8. Enjoy!

As always, Praise the Lard!

-Chef Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment